Thursday, March 6, 2008

Don't Let Bible Story Telling Make Your Head Explode

I haven't been posting about Bible Story Telling recently because - frankly - I thought my head was going to explode.

Perhaps you get that way.

What I mean in this circumstance is that I have a number of ideas, concepts, and concerns floating around in my brain at any given time - ALL potentially good -but which seemingly conflict.

Trying to figure out how to do everything I would LIKE to get done and forming them into one seamless strategy leaves me wondering if my head is going to explode.

Some might say I just think or worry too much about silly things... perhaps so. That's the way I'm wired however, and it drives me to look for points of integration.

How to integrate Bible Story Telling into the things I ALSO value and want to pursue has been the issue for me.

On a theoretical level, I value many things...

1. Systematic Bible Reading in the liturgy to cover as much of scripture as possible in 3 years.

2. Bible Story Telling which often has more impact and life if done faithfully to the text than reading requires more preparation for me than simply reading and where it's hard enough to learn one story, let alone more than one weekly. (So #1 and #2 on my list are already in conflict.) Equipping people to tell Bible Stories is increasingly - to my mind - the best way to enable people to "always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you" despite suffering (1 Peter 3:15).

3. Integrating the scriptures in worship with prayer throughout the week in the congregation.

4. Catechism work & Scripture memory - There is a value to the historic catechisms that we in the modern church have lost. In addition there must be a return to scripture memorization to equip people to give voice to their hope in Christ (see #2 again!)

There are probably more items that swirl in my head to make it explode. But these 4 are what come to mind as I try to seamlessly integrate them into an ongoing pattern of pastoral ministry.

In the mercy of God I have gotten some good ideas from a variety of sources - wiser ministers than I who - unbeknownst to them - have suggested things to help the swirling objects in my mind begin to settle into a usable form.

May the Lord give me more guidance in this!

No comments: