Thursday, July 12, 2007

Lazarus Raised - Jesus Exalted - Prisoner Comforted

Last night I told the Bible Story of Lazarus raised from the dead. I had prayed for other opportunities to tell it again before the Lord's Day.

Little did I know how the Lord would answer my prayer.

I received an urgent call from the Sheriff's department today... a chaplain was needed to do a death notification for a prisoner. There was quite a bit of drama involved in this particular case which I'll spare you, but I must admit my heart is still pounding.

I knew that this was the opportunity to tell the story in some fashion again, but I wasn't quite sure how to appropriately introduce it.

It turned out the prisoner would be allowed a private viewing of his mother but would not be allowed to be with the family for the viewing or the funeral.

I offered to ride with the prisoner to the funeral home. I also offered to do a short funeral service for the prisoner so that, at least, he would have his own funeral service he'd attended.

That was the opportunity God gave me to tell the story of Lazarus and - most importantly - Jesus the Resurrection and the Life.

I was also able to pray with the prisoner on the ride back to the jail. May the Lord bless the truth that Jesus is the Resurrection and the Life - the way out of the things that got him into this earthly prison and threaten an eternal one. He was at least thankful and comforted.

God answered my prayer to be able to tell the Bible Story again quite dramatically!

Do I dare pray that same prayer again?

In fear and trembling I will.

But only with fear and trembling.

And I hope you will have a Bible Story upon your heart too and that together we'll pray that God will give us both opportunities to tell them!

No comments: